Sunday, November 23, 2008

The One About Poop (I warned you)

For a couple of weeks now, Harry has been going to bed at 9 and getting up some time between 3:30 and 5, getting changed and nursing, then going back to sleep until some time between 6 and 8. (No, his one night of the ten hour sleep didn't repeat itself.) To me, this is a perfectly acceptable schedule. Yeah, I'd love it if he decided to always sleep until 7 or later without waking in the night, but I can definitely work with this. I always assumed he woke up because he was hungry.

So, last night, we heard farts at 12:45, which was sadly only 45 minutes after we went to bed (yes, we're stupid) and only minutes after I fell asleep. Harry also heard himself fart and woke up. P decided that they weren't just farts, so he got up to change him. (He was right.) And being very awake post-change, Harry decided he was hungry. So I was up until 1:30. He then slept until 6:30 and was ready to start his day.

I then thought back. Pretty much every night, his waking is immediately preceded by an audible fart, the kind that wakes us all up (and is almost always accompanied by poop). Maybe if he didn't always fart himself awake (or decided to poop during the day instead of always in the middle of the night), we could all be getting a bit more sleep around here. Sigh.

While I'm already talking about poop, Harry erupted during coffee hour after church this morning. When I picked him up to determine whether he was the source of the smell, poop dripped down his leg, into his sock, onto his carseat, and onto his hat sitting in his carseat. It seemed to be everywhere but on me (hooray for small miracles). It took me 15 minutes to clean him up, get him into a new diaper, and into a new outfit. When I got home, we had to figure out how to take the cover off the carseat and into the wash. It was truly nasty. I never feel confident with him in a FuzziBunz (it never seems tight enough around the leg), and apparently it was with good reason.

8 comments:

Kristin said...

Oh man...that reminds me of something that happened when My sister was a baby. We were in Venice and my dad had fed her prunes (you can see where this is going). We had gone to visit the cathedral in Venice (is it St. Paul's) and my baby sis had an explosive diaper. It went all over her and onto the pew. Thank God it was not a fabric covered pew and was only polished wood.

ICLW

Carrie27 said...

Yuck! We have not had the dripping down the leg poop yet. Both of my little ones stayed up last night until they finally pooped. I do have to say, we have been lucky with them typically waking around 5/5:30 and going to bed by 10 every night for about 2 weeks now. So, it could be just around the corner for you as well.

As far as the rolling over, he has to spend a lot of time on his belly so I think that's why he rolled over so soon. Kinsley, has no interest, though.

HereWeGoAJen said...

Ah, the fun poop stories. This will be lovely blackmail when Harry is a teenager and you need it. :)

Anonymous said...

Ah, the joys of new baby poop! And I don't know what it is about Church, but that was the site for multiple blowouts for us as well. (Church and airports :)

Amber said...

Hmmm...note to self: rethink FuzziBunz. Yuck.

(Here from ICLW)

Michelle said...

Gotta love poop stories. I have a couple doozies from my nephews but I think I will spare you all.

IdleMindOfBeth said...

I've often wondered how sounds THAT LOUD can come out of a body that small... I mean, loud enough to wake the household, and startle the poor baby?!?!

ICLW

Erin said...

LOL. Ew Gross. Oh boy I am so not ready for this and with only 100 days to go I guess I had better get there...

ICLW!