Saturday, February 2, 2008

A Few Things I Am Not A Fan Of

This is the post where it becomes obvious that I am a bit hormonal (and a serious bitch when it comes to nit-picky points of grammar, some of which may be more matters of preference than rule anyway). Here are some things that I am not a fan of:

  • Nosebleeds and this whole bloody snot thing (sorry).
  • The fact that we have been so socially conditioned to think sex is a dirty word that we use gender when sex is the appropriate word. Sex historically meant male v. female. Gender historically meant masculine v. feminine. (It's also sad that dictionaries have been modified over the years to reflect this social shift -- screw you, dictionaries.) You are unlikely to be able to find out your child's gender by ultrasound. SEX. SEX. SEX.
  • The fact that I am too afraid of miscarriage to have sex. SEX. SEX. SEX. I am having none of it.
  • Niobe touched on this the other day, but another pet peeve of mine is people's inability to correctly use which and that. Which is not the formal or more educated sounding version of that -- it's actually its own word with its own proper usage.
  • The fact that my neighbors' dogs get out constantly, and I seem to be the only one who is concerned enough about them to corral them and get them home safely. We live a block and a half from the highway and a block from a major state road! And these are not smart dogs! I am not sure which bothers me more -- that they get out or that NO ONE ELSE CARES (so I end up walking the streets at 8 a.m. in my pjs holding my dog's old leashes trying to call 2 dogs, one of whom runs at the sight of me).
  • People who persist in write things like "I should of called sooner." HAVE, damn you. What are they teaching people in school these days?
  • Homophobes. Get over yourselves.
  • The fact that P only does the laundry when there is something in the hamper he needs. Is one of the hampers full (we have three bamboo hampers -- darks, lights, and whites)? Run a load of laundry! Even if you don't need anything. Please stop putting clothes on the floor next to the hamper and waiting for me to do it.

Okay, I've done enough to make it clear that I'm a bit of a bitch for one day.

2 comments:

Meghan said...

Totally with you on pretty much all of those bullets except the dog thing...only because none of my neighbors have dogs that get out...I'm sure it would drive me crazy if they did!

Me said...

I'm not sure it was your intention to make me laugh but you did. You tell 'em!